Álvaro Arbeloa has confirmed his departure from Real Madrid following a disappointing trophyless campaign, with José Mourinho now emerging as the leading candidate to replace him.
The former Real Madrid defender leaves the Bernabéu just months after taking over from Xabi Alonso in January, ending a difficult spell in charge that failed to revive the club’s season.
According to the BBC, Mourinho is currently the clear favourite and the only coach Real Madrid are actively holding talks with, as club president Florentino Pérez pushes to appoint a new manager before pre-season preparations begin.
Arbeloa confirmed his exit after Real Madrid concluded a season without a major trophy for the second consecutive year.
Speaking in a news conference ahead of Real’s final match of the season, the 43-year-old expressed disappointment over the outcome of the campaign but thanked the club and supporters for their backing during his time in charge.
“I gave everything I had for this club, as I always have,” Arbeloa said following confirmation of his exit.
Arbeloa also confirmed that he would be departing rather than joining Mourinho’s staff.
“Mou has a fantastic technical team, he’s got good people around him, if he comes to Madrid he will come with his team,” said Arbeloa.
“There’s no chance that I would be with him. Then, my future… from Monday I’ll think about that.”
Real Madrid endured a turbulent campaign, losing the La Liga title to rivals Barcelona and crashing out of the UEFA Champions League in the quarter-finals against Bayern Munich.
The season was also overshadowed by reports of dressing-room unrest and tensions involving senior players, increasing pressure on the club hierarchy to make major changes ahead of next season.
Arbeloa, who played for Real between 2009 and 2016, said he hoped this match was not a final farewell to the club.
“I hope it’s a see you later… I’ve always considered this my home, I’ve belonged to Madrid for 20 years in various roles,” said Arbeloa.
“It will be my last game this season as coach of Real Madrid, I don’t know if it will be the last game of my life as coach of Real Madrid.
“We never know. I’ll try and enjoy it and try to get the win.”
BBC Sport reports that Perez first considered bringing Mourinho back shortly after Alonso’s departure earlier this year, with talks between both parties now progressing.
Mourinho, currently manager of Benfica, recently refused to directly address speculation about his future until after Benfica’s final game of the season.
“There’s a match against Estoril, and from Monday onwards I’ll be able to answer questions about my future as a coach and Benfica’s future,” Mourinho said.
The Portuguese coach reportedly has a clause in his Benfica contract that would allow him leave this summer for a relatively modest fee.
Mourinho previously managed Real Madrid between 2010 and 2013, winning La Liga, the Copa del Rey and the Spanish Super Cup during his first spell at the Bernabéu.
Real Madrid are believed to view Mourinho as the ideal figure to restore discipline, authority and winning mentality within a squad that struggled both on and off the pitch this season.
If appointed, Mourinho would return under immediate pressure to end the club’s recent decline and restore their dominance in Spain and Europe.

