Thursday, August 20, 2026

Man City Announce Signing Of Defender Marc Guehi

Manchester City have completed the signing of Crystal Palace defender Marc Guehi in a deal worth an initial £20m.

The England defender had a medical on Sunday after agreeing personal terms with City and has signed a five-and-a-half-year contract.

City started talks to sign the 25-year-old this month following injuries to defenders Josko Gvardiol and Ruben Dias. Guehi, who has attracted interest from some of Europe’s top clubs in recent times, was set to be out of contract at the end of this season.

The Chelsea academy product and Crystal Palace captain has played 188 times for the London club since joining from Swansea in 2021, with 33 of his appearances coming this season as they started their first Conference League campaign.

On signing for City, Guehi said, “I am really happy and incredibly proud to be a Manchester City player.

“This move feels like the culmination of all the hard work I have put into my career. I am now at the best club in England and part of an unbelievable squad of players. It feels good to be able to say that. I want to grow as a player and a person, and I know at this club that’s going to happen.

“I love football – it has given me so much for so long – and to be able to continue my development at Manchester City is a really special moment for me and my family. I absolutely cannot wait to get started now. I want to meet my teammates, train hard, understand what the manager expects of me and then show the City fans what I can do,” he added.

Guehi captained Palace to victory in the FA Cup final against City in May, alongside a Community Shield win over Liverpool at the start of this season.

He looked set to join Liverpool in September, but the £35m deal fell through in the final hours of transfer deadline day, with Guehi having already started a medical.

Earlier this month, Palace coach Oliver Glasner said the Eagles would sell Guehi in January if the asking price was met.

City have already signed Antoine Semenyo from Bournemouth in the current transfer window for £62.5m.

Guehi’s arrival takes City’s transfer spend in the last 12 months to £445.9m on 15 players.

Hot this week

Ogun Declares August 20 Public Holiday to Mark Isese Day

The Ogun State Government has declared Thursday, August 20,...

Davido Declares Exit From Politics, Fires Back at APC Chieftain Over Osun Election Role

Afrobeats superstar David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, has...

2Baba’s Wife Natasha Osawaru Takes Key Leadership Role in Edo Assembly

Natasha Osawaru, wife of Nigerian music star Innocent Idibia,...

Panic Grips Access Bank Account Holders As N1.34bn Allegedly Disappears Via Access SME App To 71 Banks

Some account holders of Access Bank are currently in...

Fidelity Bank Deepens Commitment to Food Security in Abeokuta

L-R: Team Lead, Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR), Fidelity Bank...

Topics

Ogun Declares August 20 Public Holiday to Mark Isese Day

The Ogun State Government has declared Thursday, August 20,...

Davido Declares Exit From Politics, Fires Back at APC Chieftain Over Osun Election Role

Afrobeats superstar David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, has...

2Baba’s Wife Natasha Osawaru Takes Key Leadership Role in Edo Assembly

Natasha Osawaru, wife of Nigerian music star Innocent Idibia,...

Fidelity Bank Deepens Commitment to Food Security in Abeokuta

L-R: Team Lead, Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR), Fidelity Bank...

AA Presidential hopeful Applauds Adeleke Over Victory

…Says Osun Election Outcome Will Be Used To Rewrite...

Union Bank of Nigeria Attains PCI DSS v4.0.1 Certification

Union Bank of Nigeria has attained certification under the...
spot_img
spot_img
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img