Thursday, August 20, 2026

DSS Opens Case Against Owo Church Attackers, Who Killed 40 Worshippers, Presents First Witness

Olayiwola Matthew

The Department of State Services (DSS) on Thursday opened its case against five men accused of carrying out the June 5, 2022 attack on St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church, Owo, Ondo State, in which over 40 worshippers were killed and more than 100 injured.

The defendants Idris Abdulmalik Omeiza (25), Al-Qasim Idris (20), Jamiu Abdulmalik (26), Abdulhaleem Idris (25) and Momoh Otuho Abubakar (47) were arraigned before Justice Emeka Nwite of the Federal High Court, Abuja.

The prosecution commenced trial by calling its first witness, a Catholic priest who presided over the Pentecost Sunday service on the day of the attack. His identity was withheld for security reasons.

Led in evidence by prosecuting counsel, Ayodeji Adedipe (SAN), the priest recounted how the armed men struck towards the end of the mass.

He told the court that the attack began with a loud explosion followed by sporadic gunshots, causing chaos within the congregation.

“As the service was ending and the recessional hymn began, I heard a loud sound. Then I saw commotion in the church. Soon after, two men from our congregation locked the main entrance and an elder told me, ‘Father, we are under attack,’” he said.

The witness described the intensity of the assault, noting that at least three explosives were used, with one landing close to the safe room where he and several children had taken refuge.

He narrated how he assisted in evacuating injured worshippers, including his choir master who had been shot in the chest.

The priest said he could not determine the number of attackers due to the chaos, adding that his priority at the time was rescuing children and moving casualties to the hospital.

Under cross-examination by defence lawyer Abdullahi Mohammad, the witness maintained that he was unable to recognise or identify the assailants.

Earlier, the prosecution informed the court that the charge had been amended to correct minor errors. The amended charge was read to the defendants, who all pleaded not guilty.

Justice Nwite granted an application for accelerated hearing and adjourned the case to Jan. 13 and 14, 2026 for continuation.

Hot this week

Ogun Declares August 20 Public Holiday to Mark Isese Day

The Ogun State Government has declared Thursday, August 20,...

Davido Declares Exit From Politics, Fires Back at APC Chieftain Over Osun Election Role

Afrobeats superstar David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, has...

2Baba’s Wife Natasha Osawaru Takes Key Leadership Role in Edo Assembly

Natasha Osawaru, wife of Nigerian music star Innocent Idibia,...

Panic Grips Access Bank Account Holders As N1.34bn Allegedly Disappears Via Access SME App To 71 Banks

Some account holders of Access Bank are currently in...

Fidelity Bank Deepens Commitment to Food Security in Abeokuta

L-R: Team Lead, Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR), Fidelity Bank...

Topics

Ogun Declares August 20 Public Holiday to Mark Isese Day

The Ogun State Government has declared Thursday, August 20,...

Davido Declares Exit From Politics, Fires Back at APC Chieftain Over Osun Election Role

Afrobeats superstar David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, has...

2Baba’s Wife Natasha Osawaru Takes Key Leadership Role in Edo Assembly

Natasha Osawaru, wife of Nigerian music star Innocent Idibia,...

Fidelity Bank Deepens Commitment to Food Security in Abeokuta

L-R: Team Lead, Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR), Fidelity Bank...

AA Presidential hopeful Applauds Adeleke Over Victory

…Says Osun Election Outcome Will Be Used To Rewrite...

Union Bank of Nigeria Attains PCI DSS v4.0.1 Certification

Union Bank of Nigeria has attained certification under the...
spot_img
spot_img
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img