Friday, August 21, 2026

SGF Suspends Enforcement Of Sachet Alcohol Ban Pending Review

Olayiwola Matthew

The Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (OSGF) has ordered the suspension of all enforcement actions on the proposed ban on sachet alcohol products.

Terrence Kuanum, special adviser on public affairs to the SGF, said the directive follows a letter from the house of representatives committee on food and drugs administration and control.

The correspondence, dated 13 November 2025 and signed by Uchenna Okonkwo, deputy chairman of the committee, is under review, Kuanum said on Monday.

The statement added that the OSGF is considering the matter “in line with its statutory coordinating role as chairman of the cabinet secretariat.”

Accordingly, the SGF “directs that all actions, decisions, or enforcement measures relating to the proposed sachet alcohol ban be suspended pending the conclusion of consultations and the issuance of a final directive by the Office of the secretary to the government of the federation.”

The OSGF further clarified that “any action or enforcement undertaken by NAFDAC or any other agency on this matter without due clearance and resolution by the office of the secretary to the government of the federation is of no effect and should be disregarded by the public until a final decision is formally communicated.”

Kuanum assured Nigerians that “all relevant legislative resolutions, economic implications, public health concerns, and broader national interest considerations are being carefully examined to ensure a balanced, lawful, and well-coordinated outcome.”

“The public will be duly informed once a final position has been reached,”he added.

The move follows NAFDAC’s announcement that production and sale of alcoholic beverages in sachets and bottles smaller than 200 millilitres would be prohibited by December 2025.

Mojisola Adeyeye, NAFDAC director-general, said the decision was aimed at tackling misuse of cheap alcoholic drinks among youths and drivers.

The SGF’s directive comes amid renewed pressure from the national assembly, which has repeatedly asked NAFDAC to suspend the enforcement of the ban in line with resolutions passed since 2024.

A December 1 letter from Mohammed Danjuma, permanent secretary (general services), to Muhammad Pate, coordinating minister of health and social welfare, and Adeyeye, referenced concerns raised by the house of representatives committee on food and drugs administration and control.

“In reference to the attached letter dated November 13 from the House of Reps Committee on the above subject (Re: NAFDAC to enforce sachet alcohol ban from December 2025), we request your comments to enable the Secretary to the Government of the Federation to take an informed decision,” the letter read.

The senate had earlier approved a December 31, 2025, phase-out deadline following a motion by Asuquo Ekpenyong (Cross River south), who said the timeline aligned with global standards and was intended to curb alcohol-related harm.

Hot this week

30 months after subsidy removal, FG spends N30.6tn, saves N15.8tn

30 months after President Bola Tinubu removed petrol subsidy...

FG won’t publish details of $5bn Abu Dhabi loan — Oyedele

The Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the...

Fidelity Bank Deepens Food Relief Efforts, Supports Over 1,000 Families in Kogi State

Leading financial institution, Fidelity Bank Plc, has continued its...

Tinubu moves EFCC recoveries, N242bn unclaimed dividends to NELFUND

President Bola Tinubu on Wednesday directed that all liquid...

Adeleke Receives Certificate Of Return In Osun State

…Vows to keep ‘darkness’ out of Osun Governor Ademola Adeleke...

Topics

30 months after subsidy removal, FG spends N30.6tn, saves N15.8tn

30 months after President Bola Tinubu removed petrol subsidy...

FG won’t publish details of $5bn Abu Dhabi loan — Oyedele

The Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the...

Fidelity Bank Deepens Food Relief Efforts, Supports Over 1,000 Families in Kogi State

Leading financial institution, Fidelity Bank Plc, has continued its...

Tinubu moves EFCC recoveries, N242bn unclaimed dividends to NELFUND

President Bola Tinubu on Wednesday directed that all liquid...

Adeleke Receives Certificate Of Return In Osun State

…Vows to keep ‘darkness’ out of Osun Governor Ademola Adeleke...

Ogun Declares August 20 Public Holiday to Mark Isese Day

The Ogun State Government has declared Thursday, August 20,...

Davido Declares Exit From Politics, Fires Back at APC Chieftain Over Osun Election Role

Afrobeats superstar David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, has...

2Baba’s Wife Natasha Osawaru Takes Key Leadership Role in Edo Assembly

Natasha Osawaru, wife of Nigerian music star Innocent Idibia,...
spot_img
spot_img
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img