Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Makoko Demolition: Lagos Assembly Pledges Compensation For Victims

Fatimah Otunsanya

The Lagos State House of Assembly has pledged to compensate residents of Makoko and adjoining communities in Yaba Local Government Area affected by recent demolitions, as it ordered an immediate halt to the exercise.

The directive followed a meeting on Tuesday between lawmakers and representatives of the affected communities at the Lateef Jakande Auditorium, Assembly Complex, Alausa, Ikeja.

The Chairman of the ad hoc committee constituted by the Speaker of the House, Mr Noheem Adams, announced the decision while reading the resolutions reached at the meeting.

NigeriaTodayTimes had reported earlier that the Assembly convened the meeting after receiving a petition from the affected communities.

Speaking after the deliberations, Adams said the House resolved that all Ministries, Departments and Agencies involved in the demolitions in Makoko, Oko-Agbon and Shogunro communities should suspend the exercise until further notice.

He added that residents whose properties had already been demolished would be compensated.

He said, “All demolitions in Makoko and its waterfront communities should stop with immediate effect until further notice. Any task force to be constituted must involve community representatives and engage them adequately.

“As your representatives, we assure you that the demolition will be stopped and that all those whose properties have been demolished will be compensated.”

Responding on behalf of the affected communities, the Baale of one of the communities, Mr Isaac Gunmayon, expressed appreciation to the Assembly for its intervention.

“They invited us to explain what happened, and we discussed everything. The resolutions reached by the House reflect our wishes, and we are happy with the way they listened to us and gave us hope,” he said.

Recall that the demolition, which began in December 2025, had drawn mixed reactions from stakeholders.

Human rights groups, lawyers and residents had condemned the exercise, which displaced several residents.

However, the Lagos State Government has continued to defend the demolition, insisting it was carried out in the interest of the waterfront communities.

The state government also said it planned to spend about $10m on the regeneration of Makoko.

Hot this week

Fidelity Bank Deepens Commitment to Food Security in Abeokuta

L-R: Team Lead, Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR), Fidelity Bank...

AA Presidential hopeful Applauds Adeleke Over Victory

…Says Osun Election Outcome Will Be Used To Rewrite...

Union Bank of Nigeria Attains PCI DSS v4.0.1 Certification

Union Bank of Nigeria has attained certification under the...

IMOLE TI WỌ́LÈ! Adeleke Defeats Oyebamiji in Osun Showdown

Governor Ademola Adeleke has secured victory in the keenly contested 2026...

Topics

Fidelity Bank Deepens Commitment to Food Security in Abeokuta

L-R: Team Lead, Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR), Fidelity Bank...

AA Presidential hopeful Applauds Adeleke Over Victory

…Says Osun Election Outcome Will Be Used To Rewrite...

Union Bank of Nigeria Attains PCI DSS v4.0.1 Certification

Union Bank of Nigeria has attained certification under the...

IMOLE TI WỌ́LÈ! Adeleke Defeats Oyebamiji in Osun Showdown

Governor Ademola Adeleke has secured victory in the keenly contested 2026...

JUST IN: Adeleke Leads Oyebamiji By 66,252 Votes As Results From 30 LGAs Emerge In Osun Election

….Accord Candidate Polls 511,067 Votes Against Oyebamiji’s 444,815 … ADC’s...

TEGBE CALLS FOR SWIFT IMPLEMENTATION OF NIGERIA-CHINA AQUATIC PRODUCTS PROTOCOL

The Honourable Minister of Power, Joseph Tegbe, has called...
spot_img
spot_img
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

spot_imgspot_img